Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pulling Drives from a Virtual Exchange Server

I did this once before and it didn't work out well but I am a little more confident now that everything will work accordingly. Since we moved our Exchange DB and Logs to RDM's we have the empty drives left behind consuming unreclaimed space. As long as you don't delete the virtual disk this is safe. Powered down the Exchange server and removed the three hard disks from the Edit Settings option on the Virtual Machine. Reboot and in my case....Success!

Now time to figure out why Backup Exec 11d is failing consistently to backup exchange database and flush logs. This happened roughly around the time I migrated the exchange store and logs to the RDM LUNs. The logs are still growing and threatening to fill up drive. As usual Backup Exec explains the error in their usual descriptive method: "Other Errors" I click the link for additional information to be greeted by a "No Exact Matches Found for: V-79-32772-8992. I look up on the web page and see the Symantec logo "Confidence in a connected world." Sure feels that way! Guess I am on my own here.

1 comment: